After several weeks of thought, requests for suggestions from members of the public and deliberation by officials, the new piste in Avoriaz has finally been named - 'Blue Velvet'.
The Avoriaz Tourist Office was spoilt for choice with over 300 names being proposed; however, the decision, made by the tourist office, the ski lift company and local elected officials, was unanimous in favour of 'Blue Velvet'.
This name was chosen, not only because the new piste will be a blue run, facing north and so will offer a soft snow quality, but also because it was the name of a David Lynch film. The film, entitled simply Blue Velvet actually won the Festival International du Film Fantastique d’Avoriaz (The Avoriaz International Festival of Fantasty Films) in 1987!
The lucky person who suggested this fitting name will be rewarded next winter with a free one week ski lift package to the entire ski area.
More Avoriaz Insights...
- Flights to Geneva restart in June 2020
- Get -50% off your Portes du Soleil 2020/21 season pass
- A farewell to the 2019/20 ski season in Avoriaz
- French ski areas close on 15th March 2020
- Introducing Huski - A meal delivery company in Avoriaz
- Almost 2m of snow in the past 10 days in Avoriaz