The Fête de la Musique is a celebration that takes place every summer solstice on 21st June in cities, towns and villages across France.
More than a music festival, the Avoriaz Fête de la Musique is a free event that spills out from the bars and restaurants onto the streets and encompasses every type of music imaginable, from local amateur teen bands to professional classical musicians, from club DJ’s to traditional folk bands.
Launched in 1982 by the French Ministry for Culture, the Fete is different from a music festival in that all the concerts and performances are free to the public and none of the artists are paid. The Fete de la Musique is now celebrated all over the world, where it is more commonly refered to as World Music Day.
Fête de la Musique is one of those certain nights throughout the year when the French authorities waive normal licensing laws, allowing the revelry to continue as long as there are people with the stamina to enjoy it – it is definitely one of the not-to-be-missed events of the summer social calendar.
For more details of programmes please visit their website directly. Programmes are not normally available until June at the earliest. You should also check with your local tourist office or your hotel for details of events near you.
- Coordination Generale de la Fete de la Musique 21 rue de la Villette Paris
More Avoriaz Insights...
- Travellers welcome to Avoriaz from June 15th 2020
- Flights to Geneva restart in June 2020
- Get -50% off your Portes du Soleil 2020/21 season pass
- A farewell to the 2019/20 ski season in Avoriaz
- French ski areas close on 15th March 2020
- Introducing Huski - A meal delivery company in Avoriaz