It has been snowing heavily in Avoriaz since yesterday morning, with reports suggesting that up to 70cm have fallen on the higher slopes.
Much of the resort was closed yesterday due to high winds, which will also have contributed to an unstable snowpack. The avalanche risk is currently at 4/5 and, even though the wind has died down, higher slopes around Fornet are likely to remain closed until they can be made safer.
More snow is expected throughout the day today and then sporadically for the rest of the week. This will mean poor visibility and the trees in Lindarets are sure to be one of the best areas to ski today.
Following the snowfall from the previous week, the fresh snow has a good base to fall on, so there should be no concerns over hitting rocks over the next few days. These are the best snow conditions we have seen so far this winter and the current forecast suggests that Friday morning offers the best chance for sunshine and could be the best day of the winter.
More Avoriaz Insights...
- A farewell to the 2019/20 ski season in Avoriaz
- French ski areas close on 15th March 2020
- Introducing Huski - A meal delivery company in Avoriaz
- Almost 2m of snow in the past 10 days in Avoriaz
- Avoriaz Dump Alert - 6th March 2020
- Rock the Pistes Avoriaz 2020 cancelled